Period Essentials.

Period Essentials.

Ugh, periods. It’s such a bittersweet time every single month. One part of me is jumping for joy but the other 99.9% of me is just really freaking inconvenienced. Growing up I was desperate to get my wings. All of my friends had it in year 7 or early year 8, some even in primary school, but there I was a 14 year old girl literally freaking out that it would never ever happen. I wanted to feel like everyone else but nope, nothing happened until literally New Years Eve of 2008. Yep, I came into the new year as a woman. TMI? Probably, but I don’t really care.

I mean seriously, I wasn’t even a late bloomer and when my friends would complain of these terrible cramps I would sit there nodding along when in reality I never experienced cramps up until my twenties. I just thought that I wasn’t normal in that regard. Obviously I was never given ‘The Talk’ by my parents haha – Thanks guys. I really didn’t know how lucky I had it, but do we ever?

These days, cramps are my worst enemy.Β So I figured I would share with you all my period essentials to help stick it out through the bloody battlefield with as little pain and moody mood swings as possible.

// Sleep it off //

I don’t know about you girls but my biggest ‘side affect’ is nausea. For about three or four days before my period I start feeling really sick and then it will continue for the first few days of my period; and when you’re nauseous and feeling like you’re going to boff at any second walking around & rushing about is the last thing I want to be doing. So, a cosy bed with GOOD pillows and a serious binge of Real Housewives are total necessities. Get all Kim K with it and just lay there like a little snug slug. Like this point suggest though, make sure to get some good sleep in there because your body uses sleep as a recovery method and even though you’re not really recovering from anything it will definitely help your body cope with any pain and any sluggishness that you’re feeling.

// Pain Killers //

I have to be totally honest with you guys here but I for one absolutely detest taking any form of medication unless it’s absolutely necessary. It’s not that I’m skeptical of modern medicine or anything like that but I would honestly prefer a natural method to help alleviate pain of something super minimal. If i have a headache I’ll load up on water and change my surroundings first before I take a tablet etc because I don’t want my body getting used to these medications. However, sometimes it can be too much to bare and you just need to take one or two tablets of Panadol to dull it all a little.

// Comfort Food //

I mean, is an explanation necessary? My boyfriend learnt this the hard way. When I’m bleeding out of my effing vagina and acting like a raging bitch I definitely need a bowl of pasta and a block of chocolate. Pronto.

// Sanitary Products //

Pads, tampons, Diva Cups (?) – You name it, you need it. Unless you free bleed in which case this step is probs not an essential for you. Since I have had the implanon my period has become totally irregular. Sometimes I don’t get it at all and sometimes I will get it a week later. Hell, sometimes my period last two whole weeks. It can suck but irregular periods are totally normal, especially with this form of contraception. So a packet of tampons are kept in literally every hand bag I own and a stash of pads are kept in my knickers drawer. Essentials for obvious reasons right.

Also, what are your thoughts on Diva Cups?! I love the idea but then I think about emptying it and I get a little grossed out… Let me know your thoughts, I’m intrigued!

// Water //

Drink up babes, even though we’re already bloated and water retention is the last thing that we want it is exactly what our body needs. I try to have a minimum of 2 litres of water every single day but when i’m on my lady time I like to drink as much water as possible. Plus, believe it or not drinking water helps relieve cramps and can actually debloat you!

What are you period essentials?

Until next time,

Love, Angela xx.

1. Ellie
    February 23, 2018 / 7:42 pm

Ugh the dreaded time of the month came today and I’m so annoyed!!! But I love these tips!!

• February 28, 2018 / 1:46 pm

Oh nooooo Ellie! But you could always think of it as another excuse to lay in bed and snuggle your new puppies all day, right? haha Xx

2. February 24, 2018 / 5:57 am

I don’t think I ever want to try out those cups. I get why they are a good idea, but to me it wouldn’t feel too hygenic and it is gross too so I’m sticking with good old pads!

• February 24, 2018 / 9:11 am

Yeah like I get the idea behind it but the thought of emptying it and all that reaaaaally grosses me out πŸ™…πŸΌπŸ™…πŸΌ

3. February 24, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I love love love this post, such an easy guide and your honesty is definitely not TMI, actually very refreshing!
    Abby –

• February 28, 2018 / 1:41 pm

Abby!! Having you say that honestly meant the world to me, thank you for reading babe! You added a smile to my day Xx

4. February 25, 2018 / 2:31 am

I’m currently on my period and have wanted to try out diva cups for a while now but I’m not too sure, they seem kind of daunting! Maybe one day haha.

-Charlotte x

• February 28, 2018 / 1:45 pm

Why can’t mother nature just send us a text or an email instead? So much less messy and way more convenient lol.

• February 28, 2018 / 1:40 pm

Really?! omg you lucky thing!! I remember going around six or so months without my period the first time I had the implanon and for the most part I was constantly worried that I was pregnant haha but then when I got used to it and started enjoying the freedom it decided to come back. πŸ™

5. February 28, 2018 / 1:48 am

Great Post! I agree with all of these points – painkillers and comfort food are always a must x

• February 28, 2018 / 1:38 pm

emphasis on the comfort food haha!

6. February 28, 2018 / 3:08 am

Such a great post, I hate the idea of the cup thing, but everyone is different

• February 28, 2018 / 1:38 pm

I totally agree – It’s such a personal thing. I don’t think I could bring myself to use one personally.

7. Chloe
    March 1, 2018 / 7:49 am

What some fab tips! I will defo be taking those on board when Aunt Urma next comes to town! X

8. March 13, 2018 / 10:03 pm

As someone who suffers with really horrible periods I totally agree with all of these, especially sleeping it off! Sometimes you just need to escape the pain for a bit.

9. Tori brown
    March 18, 2018 / 12:32 pm

Diva cups are seriously the love of my life.
    I have always been one to absolutely dread having my period and when I was on the pill I would be constantly skipping my period. Since getting my moon cup, I no longer shed a worry about that time of the month.
    It can be difficult for some at the start but once you get the hang of it, it’s a dream.
    I always thought emptying it would be too gross but I find having stale blood in a pad or on a tampon just sitting there touching your insides so much grosser now.
    I find with the moon cup, you can really monitor the health of your period. It also helps you learn more about yourself physically down there!
    Want to know the best bit? YOU CAN WEAR IT TO BED OVERNIGHT! Aaaand once you get the hang of it, if you’re a lil nudie like me, you can run around nakey on your period and you wouldn’t even know the difference!
    Speaking of saving the planet…I see some are still not open to the idea of a moon cup…but the brand ‘Tom’ now sells organic biodegradable cotton pads and tampons…so our children won’t be swimming in bloody pad infested rivers and lakes and oceans. Very much worth considering :):):))))

• March 23, 2018 / 11:20 am

Omg all this info – you are amazing! Honestly I love the idea behind them and it’s so important that we start doing as many little things that we can to help the enviro but I think it’s going to be one of those things where women aren’t comfortable with it until they have tried it themselves – you know, like it kind of sounds scarier then what it actually is in a way. Where did you get your moon cup from?? I didn’t think they were regulated in Aus yet?!! Xx