As if I’m 23 today. As if I can no longer have 22 by T-Swizz as my national anthem. Ugh, as if.
That is what I would have said to you all last week if you had of asked if I’m excited for my birthday, but what’s the point in despising every God given year that I’ve been graced with? I should be celebrating it and embracing it. Heck, someone go get me a bottle of champers now and we can begin the party a week early if it suits. So many of us sit here and wish ourselves older while we are young but then once we hit a certain age we wish for youth, never content with the age that we are.
I don’t particularly know why this is or why we feel the need to dread the good ol’ birthday like it’s a taboo of some sort but it’s time to stop. It’s time to own it. I’m 23 not 95; and even when I’m 95 I can sit there and say I made it to ninety-f*cking-five years old! That’s an achievement and a half in itself!
So in honour of my birthday – look at me honouring myself like I’m the Queen – here I am ready to share with you 23 things I’ve learned in 23 years – and I’m not talking about the cliché stuff that we all love to read over and over again. I’m talking about the real shit that not everyone tells you.
// 23 things I’ve learnt in 23 years //
- Not everyone is going to like you and that is completely normal.
- You are not going to like everyone and that is completely normal too.
- If you’re going to shave your patch of petunias…. shave downwards.
- Always try to keep a stash of 1k tucked away for emergencies.
- Keep a first aid kit & a jump starter pack in your car at all times. Seriously, this has come in handy a few times now.
- SPF your face every day.
- Moisturise your neck – the ultimate giveaway sign of ageing.
- Spritz some perfume in your hair if you are wearing it down – the smell when the wind hits your hair is subtle but can leave an impression on those around you.
- Enjoy the little things because sometimes they can be the stepping stone to something big
- Straighteners make excellent irons when on the go or travelling – Thanks LC for that one.
- It’s not a cliche – time really does heal all wounds.
- If you plan on drinking throughout the night buy a bottle of Powerade ready for the next morning.
- There is nothing wrong with being a 20-something year old grandma. Sometimes a night in with PJ’s & a block of chocolate is better than paying entry to dance in a crowded club.
- Life doesn’t owe you anything so don’t just expect things to fall into place. Work for it & make your life what you want it to be.
- Not all friends are meant to be in your life forever, people grow and change. It’s natural and it’s okay.
- Clean surroundings = clean mind.
- Size up on leather jackets so you can fit a knit or chunkier top on underneath.
- Break your shoes in by wearing them around the house for a little bit with a pair of socks on.
- Trust your gut because 9 times out of 10 it’s right.
- It’s okay to not be okay. Life will give you good days and bad ones.
- Failure isn’t real. Mistakes happen and attempts are made – learn from it, pick yourself back up and try again.
- You can’t buy happiness or memories, experiences are important.
- It isn’t as easy as it looks to get the balloons to read 23. It’s like mother nature wants me to be 32 every time I try to take a photo.
Until next time,
Love, Angela xx.