In this day an age there is alternative everything – alternative music, alternative facts and of course the wide world of alternative milk!
Personally, I am not a cow’s milk fan. I have no allergies or intolerance, I just hate the taste of it so growing up I would have the absolute bare minimum amount of milk in my cereal and you would never catch me with a glass of plain milk on its own! Even a nesquick flavoured milk wasn’t and still isn’t my cup of tea.
It was a sad time for me, with a bleak outlook on breakfast until I discovered the wide world of alternative milk. Oh boy, was my world turned upside down!
Next thing you know I’m actually enjoying breakfast, I’m enjoying milk drinks and I feel like I’m part of the club! There are sooo many alternatives that it can be a little daunting switching things up but I have listed 4 of the most common milk alternatives and their pros and cons.
- Almond milk is high in Fibre, which is going to help your bowel movements and can also help with constipation.
- Doesn’t contain cholesterol or saturated fats which is fantastic news for your cardiovascular system!
- It’s LOADED with minerals and antioxidants such as Copper, Zinc, Iron, magnesium and the list goes on!
- Since Almond milk is becoming more and more common these days almost all grocery stores stock it! Even so, it can easily be made from home!
- As it is a nut based product you need to be very careful to make sure that you do not have any nut allergies.
- Almond milk is not suitable for infants or young children and a replacement for breast milk! this can lead to severe health risks and complications for your precious ones.
- Almonds and almond milk products are sources of tyrosine which may aggravate a migraine headache.
- Your heart will thank you since soy milk is free from dietary cholesterol, saturated fat, and trans fat!
- Tastes absolutely delicious and sweet.
- Soy latte anyone?
- Because of its isoflavones properties, Soy milk can confuse your body and increase your estrogen level.
- High in protein!
- It is the most hypoallergenic milk out !
- It is the 3rd most popular dairy free milk, behind Almond and Soy – so it must be good, right?
- Rice milk contains more manganese and selenium than any other alternatives
- Because of how high it is in starch, rice milk is not considered suitable for diabetes – it could easily spike your sugar levels.
- When you think of milk (any type of milk) one of your first thoughts would be calcium! Unfortunately rice milk is very low in calcium.
- If you have a sweet tooth, this one is for you.
Personally, it’s a little too sweet for my liking but for many of your it could definitely be a positive factor.
- Loaded with good fats to help your body!
- Coconut milk is said to help boost your immune system since it contains plenty of antioxidants and antimicrobial properties.
- Awesome for cooking!
- Tread carefully if you are allergic to tree nuts, because you guessed it, coconut is recognised as a tree nut.
- It is high in calories so for some that won’t bother you, but for others it may be wise to keep this in mind.
There are so many other dairy free milk products available such as goats milk, skim milk ( fat-free) and plenty more, but these ones listed above are some of the most common!
What is your favourite alternative?
Until next time,
Love, Angela xx.